A Stronger Nation Begins With A Pledge
Thompson Town Primary and Infant School is located on top of the Mocho Mountains in the rural community of North Western Clarendon. The nearest towns are Chapelton and May Pen. The town got its name from a male resident who built a shop which he named "Mr. Thompson’s Town".
The school was built in 1928 and refurbished in 1995. It is the chief feeder school to Thompson Town High School which is just a few metres away. The two schools share common facilities such as the playfield. The school has an infant department and most students matriculate from there to the Grade 1.
The majority of the parents have attained secondary education, while a few are tertiary trained. Many parents work outside of the area as the community’s main economic activity is farming with some vending and a few small businesses.
Students come from the communities of Blackwoods, Reid Piece, Wakefield Lodge, Gloucester and Springfield. The school benefits from capacity training for the staff in numeracy and literacy skills, funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Government of Jamaica. Attached to the school is an infant department with 2 classes. These classes are accommodated in the space designated for the library and storeroom.